Wool Dryer Balls: Frugal and Environmentally Friendly



My first set of wool dryer balls. Credit: P.J. Deneen


I was last-year years old when I found out about using wool dryer balls in place of dryer sheets. The way they work is to absorb moisture and decrease static by moving between the clothes during drying. 

I bought the set pictured above from a seller on Etsy. Most of the sellers I've seen who carry them have small farms with sheep or alpaca. The ones I bought work exactly as most sellers describe without shedding. They are supposed to last for years, so you'll save money on dryer sheets or liquid fabric softener if you use that. Two to three balls are recommended for small loads and 4-6 for large loads.  I think the prices are reasonable for something that will last for years.

Another benefit is that they don't aggravate my sensitive skin. Since alpaca don't produce lanolin, you can choose dryer balls made from that wool rather than sheep's wool if you're allergic to lanolin. You might even find a seller near you, so you'd be supporting a local business. You can check out what's available at Etsy.

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts