Disabled American Veterans Thrift Stores

I'm introducing a thrift store feature to the blog.  While I will mainly be covering the Metro Detroit, Ann Arbor and Livingston County areas of Michigan, many of the stores I review are part of a national chain or charitable organization, so I will always give national info whenever applicable so you can find a shop near you.

I grew up shopping at thrift stores.  I suppose some people are ashamed to admit that.  I'm not.  We could still afford some brand new stuff, though not a lot.  But there was never a stigma in my family to buying used when we could.  It's just one of those frugal living things I think people should practice, especially parents who have to buy new clothes every year for their kids.

Anyway, onto the Disabled American Veterans thrift stores (aka DAV).  I just got back from a trip to the Metro Detroit area to visit my mom and we stopped at the DAV in Westland.  It's very clean and organized.  I'd say it's mostly a place to look for clothing, purses, and some books and toys.  The plus-sized clothing was separated from the rest which is something I look for.

There wasn't a lot in the way of kitchen ware or a large range of furniture, though there were some large TVs and some other electronics and small kitchen appliances.  Again, it's well kept, stocked nicely and the items are priced as they should be.  The staff were also very friendly.  It's definitely on my shop again thrift store list (yep, I keep a list of the good, the bad and the way over priced as in too snooty for their used britches).

My mother was able to get 25% off her entire purchase as Monday is senior discount day.  Tuesdays are military discount day, though I'm not sure what the percentage is.  I also don't know if these discounts apply to every store, so visit one of the links below to find a shop near you.

The DAV is a national organization that helps veterans in many ways.  It's not a government funded agency and tries to fill the gaps left by other veterans groups.  You can donate your goods as well as shop at the store.  Veterans can learn more about the benefits of membership at the national website and you can find a chapter and possibly a thrift store near you on their chapter search page.

Update 3/2012:  Unfortunately, my second visit to the Westland store wasn't so pleasant.  The two female cashiers at the registers were very catty and rude.  I may give them one more try to see if it was just a fluke but maybe not.

Related reading:

Review of Salvation Army Thrift Store in Brighton, MI
Review of St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store in Westland, MI

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts