Seitan - The Wheat Meat Link Roundup

Vegetarians and vegans have been enjoying seitan for a while now, but it's also a good prepper item to learn how to make for yourself.  It's a high protein alternative to meat, which is what makes it so popular with vegetarians.  I'm not a vegetarian, but I do believe preppers need to try different things even if they think when the SHTF they can just go out and start hunting.  That's just not realistic even for experienced hunters, especially at a time when a lot of other people are thinking the same thing.

Before I started making seitan for myself, I used to buy it occasionally from the health food section at the grocery store.  Like so many things, it's a lot cheaper to make it yourself.  It can be stored in the fridge or frozen which makes it all the better for prepping.  If you've never had it though, I would recommend buying a small package from the store and try it to see if it's even something you would eat.

It's used in place of meat in a lot of dishes and some people even make seitan turkey roasts and meatloaf.  It doesn't fool anyone into thinking it's meat, but it's definitely hearty enough to replace meat.  I've used it mainly in stir-fry but I've seen some really creative recipes for meatballs, chicken cutlets and more.  It's one of those things you can experiment with to your own taste.

I've been making it with vital wheat gluten inspired by this informational page by Jill Nusinow.  I use Honeyville's product that comes in a #10 can, but you can find it at the grocery store and health food stores.  Other emergency preparedness companies have it too including Emergency Essentials.  I haven't tried it yet from straight flour where you have to soak the flour to get the gluten out, but that is on my list of things to experiment with.  Check out some of these videos on preparation and recipes.

How to make seitan with vital wheat gluten:

 


How to make it with flour:


And some yummy recipes:

Meatballs:



OMG!  A vegan version of the KFC Double Down.


 

Vegan turkey roast:



 © P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts