Sprouting Beans and Seeds as a Food Prep

I know many of you are gardening your hearts out and maybe not thinking too much of sprouting since you're growing greens outside.  But I think sprouts are a great way to have greens all year round and they make great additions to summer salads you'll make with the greens you're growing outside now.

Prepping companies like Emergency Essentials sell sprouting seeds and supplies.  But one of my favorite places for supplies is The Sprout People website.  They've specialized in the sprout business for many years and their site is a wealth of info on sprouts, sprouting supplies and micro-greens.  I've found their prices to be reasonable and they ship quickly.

Many beans and seeds can be sprouted, not just what you see in the grocery store.  The most common you probably see are mung and alfalfa.  But I've sprouted garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to make raw hummus as well as lentils, soy, red, white and black beans and wheat for wheat grass, bread, and snacking.

Some people are intimidated by the sprouting process, maybe because of past failures.  Just so you know, not all sprouting seeds and beans are equal.  I've had some success with generic beans from the grocery store, so I won't say that you have to have organic beans.  But the germination rate may be lower if you use nonorganic or old beans.

Gil of Sprout People shows how to sprout beans in a jar in this video.  I've found it pretty easy to do beans this way.  I used to use cheesecloth but found a sprouting lid a better re-usable alternative and it saves me from using all my cheesecloth up unnecessarily.  I generally use the Easy Sprout sprouter for seeds.  The Sprout People YouTube channel has several excellent videos on different sprouting methods and sprouts.



As far as storage, check out my post on Long-Term Storage of Beans for Two and my article on general bean storage for more two people at Squidoo.  Emergency Essentials sells a sprouting seed combo that comes sealed in mylar bags.  This may be a good starter kit but I think Sprout People has a great selection and you can seal them in mylar yourself.  Either way, sprouts are a healthy staple to have in your food preps.

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts