First Try at Canning Meat

My first attempt at canning meat has been a success.  I used leftovers from the turkey I roasted for Thanksgiving this year.  We bought an extra big bird so we'd have a lot left over.  You have to use a pressure canner to can meat and I think these canners are a good prepper investment, especially for gardeners.

This time of year is an excellent time to get turkey on sale, even after Thanksgiving up until Christmas.  I got 5 quarts of canned meat from the leftovers.  We bought a Butterball turkey at 98 cents a pound which wasn't as cheap as the store brand but it was so good.  If the store birds are still on sale for 69 cents a pound through December I may get another one for canning.  I could probably get 3-4 meals from the quart jars, more if I make turkey soup or casserole.

This is an excellent video by prepper imstillworkin at YouTube on how to can turkey.  I pretty much followed this but processed my jars for 90 minutes instead of 75 because they were quart jars instead of pints.  Of course, follow the instructions that come with your pressure canner.  Also, here's a free pdf from the USDA about how to safely can meat, poultry and seafood.




© P.J. Deneen

Comments

  1. You have better prices for turkeys there than we do here, Trish! I canned a whole 19 pound turkey last year, which yielded 9 pints. They were wonderful. I added them to soup, used them in pot pies, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts