Frugal Tip - Braising Beef

I'm so lucky to have a brother who's an awesome cook.  For a holiday dinner recently he made braised beef strips.  They were so delicious and tender.  He called it poor man's filet Mignon because you can turn a cheap cut of meat into something fork tender.

If you've ever made roast in a crock pot, then you'll understand the concept.  You basically sear the meat and cook it slow in liquid.  After my brother cooked the meat, he cut it up in stir-fry like strips and cooked it a little longer in a skillet seasoning it to his liking.

I recently tried this technique in a more traditional style with beef stock and wine and an inexpensive pot roast.  It turned out divine.  I love cooking red meat with wine.  It adds such a rich flavor.  It was so tender that I could have used it in pulled beef sandwiches the next day.

The video below explains the process.  I don't believe she mentions the oven temp.  I think I cooked mine at about 300 degrees F.  You can also do this with steaks, pork roast and ribs.  It's a great way to save cash when you have a larger crowd to feed.




© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts