Frugal Quick Tip - Berries and Cherries

Just dropping in to share a quick tip I'm using right now since it's the season for it.  Buy extra berries and cherries and freeze them.  I love smoothies and minute muffins and buy a lot of frozen blueberries throughout the year, but those berries are probably not from my home state.

Comparing the cost of the fresh berries now to the frozen ones, I calculate that I'm paying half the price for the same amount.  Not only that, but what's available now is from Michigan so in one small way I'm supporting local growers.

If you have the time, you may even want to find a source and pick your own.  PickYourOwn.org has a listing page of farms and also a lot of great tips including the best way to freeze them.  So far I've used regular Ziploc freezer bags because I'll be using them up pretty quickly, but If I buy more I'll probably vacuum seal them to avoid freezer burn.  Hope this tip helps.

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts