Online Plant Identification Tools - a Forager's Friend

Many Michiganders are foraging for Morel mushrooms, ramps and fiddleheads right now, and I know there are spring foragers around the country and world.  But with so much going on personally, the best I can muster is a bit of backyard foraging.  I came across this sweet looking little white flower sprouting up around the corners of the back yard where it gets the wettest.

From the back yard. Possibly bittercress?

I had no idea what it was so I took a photo with my phone and ran it through an online plant identifier Pl@ntNet Identify. I was shown a few choices but the most likely seems to be bittercress which turns out to be edible. I haven't tried it yet, because I want to be sure, but apparently it has a peppery flavor and is good to eat immediately or put on sandwiches and in salads. Pl@ntNet Identify was very easy to use. There is an option to register, but I didn't need to do that to use it. You can upload your photo and then choose the most likely option, i.e. flower, weed, etc. You can also choose a search from the particular region of the world you're in to narrow it down.

As always, please remember to leave more than you take and be aware of any rules associated with parks and other areas.  Some edibles such as ramps (also called wild leek), take many years to mature. Happy foraging!

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts