Info on Storage of Flour and Wheat Berries

Once preppers get past the initial stages of food storage, i.e. a month to six months, they start with long-term food and bulk storage items.  One of those is wheat.  It's good to start with bulk flour, whether you use white or wheat.  Everyone has their preferred method.  I don't place mine in 5-gallon buckets like rice.  I usually place flour bags in individual FoodSaver bags and layer them in the bottom of my deep freeze.  According to USA Emergency Supply, these could possibly last up to 5 years in this state.  But I like to keep a six-month supply always on hand and rotate them as I use them.

I've started to use wheat now for a few reasons.  I'm learning how to use them and what recipes my household likes instead of waiting for the time when a long-term emergency happens.  It's also so much healthier and cheaper to make your own bread and to use the wheat for sprouting to eat and grow wheatgrass for juicing with.

Some people are okay with storing processed flour in mylar bags and buckets.  I prefer to store wheat berries which can last 30 years or more if stored properly.  Over the last several months, I've been researching and writing articles (listed below) on different aspects of wheat storage, types of wheat berries and what they're good for and the grain mills you'll need to process them into flour.  I hope they help answer some of your questions.  Enjoy!

My current wheat articles:
© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts