Seed Savers Exchange

I know many of you have already made your seed orders for the year, but I wanted to share with you one of the companies that I've ordered mine from.  I first heard about Seed Savers Exchange from my husband who has a homesteading coworker with a membership to SSE.  This company is based in Iowa and sells heirloom seeds.  It was started in 1975 by Diane Ott Whealy and Kent Whealy in dedication to preserving our farm heritage of heirloom gardening.

I know in one of my initial posts I stated that preppers should buy whatever seeds they can afford now because I see tough times ahead soon.  I still believe that, but by no means am I suggesting that we not take seriously the threat of huge corporations like Monsanto ruining our heritage and taking over the seed industry.

We will be more than doubling our vegetable garden this year, though we're sticking to just some of the basics of what we eat in our household including tomatoes, greens, squash and potatoes and onions for the first time.  I ordered three seed varieties of tomatoes, onions, and potatoes from SSE and have some other seeds from various companies.  You don't have to start off with a huge order if you can't afford it nor do you have to be a member to order.  Or maybe you've found a good source for heirloom seeds close to home.  Just consider adding them into your prepper gardening plan when you can.

To learn more about the company, visit their website here.  I'll keep you updated on how my seeds from this company are doing.  They also have instructions on how to save seeds here.

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts