Canned Pumpkin Prepping and Possible Shortage

I was at the grocery store today and thought I would pick up a couple cans of pumpkin for baking and soups.  But the store had signs up that due to short supplies they were completely out.  I don't know if this is just an issue with their supplier or if this is a larger problem.  Update 9/28/2011:  I found some at Walmart so maybe it was just a supplier issue.  I found several articles about the canned pumpkin shortage scares over the last few years including this one at the King Arthur Flour website.

You may not think of canned pumpkin when planning your essential preps.  Who really needs pumpkin pie in an emergency situation?  But pumpkin is not only more versatile than you might think, it's actually quite nutritious.

One of my favorite soups is pumpkin curry.  You can use half of a large can for a pie and use the other half as a base for the soup.  Here is the basic recipe I use.  These are all approximate amounts as this is one of those recipes I play around with each time I make it.
Mix half of a large can of pumpkin with 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock.  Add 1 cup applesauce and heat all together.  Add 1/2 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste) and 1 cup half and half or a can of coconut milk.  Heat on low until ready to eat.  I heat this on low because I don't want the milk/cream to scorch.  You can also add cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
I sometimes add sauteed onions and celery and cook until the vegetables are soft.  Then mix this in a blender to make smooth.  Besides being a hearty soup, this makes a great sauce over whole wheat pasta topped with Parmesan cheese.  Other spices good with this soup are garlic and turmeric.  This soup freezes well.  Sometimes, I'll break it up into single servings for soup and pasta sauce and throw it in the freezer to thaw out later on a fall or winter day when I'm craving comfort food.

Canned pumpkin, coconut milk, curry, pasta, bouillon and applesauce - some more items to add to your prepping stash.  I also use the coconut milk with chicken curry.

Canned pumpkin unlike many other canned goods is low in sodium.  It's also rich in vitamin A and K as well as iron and manganese.

Besides pie and soup, you can make pumpkin bread, cookies and cakes as well as add it to pancakes and waffles.  My soup recipe is just one variation.  If you're not a curry fan, just do a Google search for pumpkin soup to find other variations.  I think it would also be a great base with white or garbanzo beans, more prepping staples.

If your local grocery store still has some in stock, you may want to grab a few cans just in case there's a shortage.  Make sure you're getting the straight pumpkin and not the pie mix to be able to use in many recipes.

Source consulted:



© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts