Green Tomato Recipe Link Roundup

Yummy green tomato relish aka American Piccalilli
Being the frugal preppers you are, I know you can't stand the thought of letting those green tomato stragglers in your garden go to waste.  This year I tried my hand at this green tomato relish recipe I found at All Recipes and it turned out absolutely delicious.  It's very sweet, so if you like sweet pickle relish, you should like this too.  I had it recently as a side with kielbasa, but I think it would be good on hot dogs and hamburgers.  The recipe says it makes 12 pints but I got 13.  This relish is sometimes called American piccalilli, chow chow or just plain piccalilli (though I think this is different than the traditional British piccalilli).

I also made some fried green tomatoes.  I mixed equal parts of cornmeal and flour with seasoning salt.  I dipped thickly sliced green tomatoes in an egg and water mixture and then dredged them in the cornmeal mix.  I fried them a few minutes on each side and served them up with hush puppies and a salad.  There are as many variations for fried green tomatoes as there are cooks.  This vegan recipe replaces the egg with Ener-G Egg Replacer powder (a good prep to have BTW).  Here's one that uses bread crumbs and kosher salt.

If you don't like sweet relish or fried green tomatoes, you might want to try this green tomato salsa verde.  This would be good with nacho chips or other Mexican-style dishes or as a meat side.  Or maybe besides sweet or spicy, you'd like something in between.  These green tomato pickles would go well with soup and sandwiches.

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts