If at first you don't succeed, plant more seeds and treat them right!

Gardening gloves. Image: Sandid/Pixabay.

I was getting pretty worried about the tomato seeds I planted from Seed Savers Exchange which included Amish paste, Italian heirloom, and large red cherry.  After over two weeks, only one lone ranger of an Amish paste seedling started to come up.  This was completely my fault.  I started the seeds in peat pots in incredibly dry soil.  I simply didn't moisten the soil enough nor give them enough light.  I completely redid them all and seven days later nearly all were coming up in spades.  Another day or so and they all were peeking through.

Okay, so it's not rocket science.  Sunlight and water are pretty obvious and I should have set it up correctly the first time.  I'm going to share my mistakes as well as my successes because some people might give up thinking they don't have a green thumb.  Just keep plugging away.  Do research if you need to, but the dry soil was obvious, so that's what I adjusted.  I've never grown tomatoes from seed before and I'm a bit nervous about them turning out spindly.  We've always bought tomato plants from the nursery, so this is new territory.  I'll keep you updated on my progress.

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts