Polarization of Preppers

In upcoming posts, I'll be providing info on the many different types of people who are preppers including Jews and African Americans.  I came across a survival board post where a Jewish prepper was posting a link to his blog and got some flack for trying to polarize the board.

I think that's a bit rich, so before I post the alt prepper info I wanted to share my thoughts on the so-called polarization of prepping.  My question is this - What the hell is the problem?  There is a certain stereotype of what preppers and survivalists are like, and lets be honest, it doesn't include people who are open minded to people different from themselves.  It consists of mainly white, narrow-minded Christians.

Do all preppers fit the stereotype?  Certainly not, but it's been around for a while and for good reason.  Some people do fit the stereotype.  I'm white and while not Christian, I can usually get along with Christians, though depending on how in-your-face they are it could be a cringe-worthy situation for me.  I would prefer to be with people who have no conversion agenda.

Again I ask, what's wrong with wanting to be with people of your own faith?  In a SHTF situation, wouldn't faith play a large part in surviving as far as keeping the morale of the group up?  My mother has been going to the same church since she was a kid.  They have a prayer network.  When something is happening with one of the church members, this prayer network is utilized and usually started off by one phone call and word gets quickly around to many members of the church.  Isn't this how preppers operate on one level (though they may include alternate forms of communication).  If people of a faith are already gathering together and take part in each other's lives, then they are perfectly situated to be prepping together.

It may be that one board that had issues with the Jewish prepper.  I don't know.  I haven't spent a lot of time on boards recently.  I was always under the impression that there are national networks open for everyone to learn no matter what their background.  I don't think this is an issue of polarization but one of common sense.  Ultimately when the time comes, we're on our own.  The best support we may have is our own tribe whether it's one we've chosen or one we were born to.

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

  1. interesting thoughts. I don't know if it's a bad enough situation to call it polarizing, but I can see where many might think so. Our group has a point of saying that race and religion are not to be a consideration. We certainly don't make non religion an issue, but we don't want prosletizing either. In that way, we are of similar faith...not one way or another, just our own beliefs, some Christian, some athiest, some pagan, some Jewish (in other words, we don't care how or what you worship, it's not an issue). I certainly have been taken aback by how some groups seperate by religion on the forums though. I see your point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts