Thinking of TVP and Excellent Vegan Chili Recipe

I'm going to start linking to TVP and other recipes that I've experimented with or come up with myself.  I know that TVP for some preppers is something they want no part of for various reasons.  TVP is short for textured vegetable protein and is a soy product.  Some people seem to have conspiracy theories surrounding soy on the level of global warming or the Illuminati.  I don't swear by soy, but like most things, I just use it in moderation.

I'll leave it up to readers whether or not they want to try TVP.  I think having a few cans of the stuff isn't a bad idea.  Even if you don't replace meat but use it as a meat extender, it can save you cash or help in a situation where your family wants to keep having their traditional taco night.  Sometimes, the emotional aspect of comfort food is overlooked in prepping.

I've found some great soy recipes through the Delicious TV VegEZ podcast.  I'll be discussing preppers possibly adding more vegan and vegetarian meals to their planning.  No, I'm not against meat at all.  In fact, I love the stuff.  But economically speaking, preppers should be adaptable in their diet.  I recently tried a vegan recipe from Toni Fiore on the podcast called Meaty Red Bean Chili, the 'meaty' part actually being TVP.  I used beef-flavored TVP from Honeyville Grain.  The chili is delicious but very spicy.  I may tone it down a bit next time but you die-hard chili fans might like it as is.  My husband who is so-so on TVP really liked it.  Here's the link to the video.

Related reading:


© P.J. Deneen

Comments

  1. I love meat, and I was skeptical about TVP. But after adding it to a bean soup recipe that I acquired, it surprised me that it was actually very tasty (and I got generic bulk non-flavored TVP). Even my daughter who "hates" soy said it was worth eating. It did NOT taste like meat, however. But I'm planning on mixing it into ground meat and seeing how it goes with meatballs & hamburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanne,

    Thanks for stopping by. I've tried the generic TVP and like it too. I like it more than hubby though, so I like to get the flavored TVP so he'll be more likely to eat it. I did make some meatballs with unflavored TVP that I loved, but were a no-go for him. You're right, it doesn't taste like meat and definitely has a different texture, not unpleasant, just different.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts