Dog Owner Dealing with Mud During the Winter


Photo of a German Shepherd dog barking in a snowy back yard surrounded by a 4 ft steel fence with black slats.
Our dog Bridget makes her feelings known.
Photo was taken by me on a snow day earlier this year.

In November, my husband and I made our annual trip to Tractor Supply for several bags of pine shavings. I play with our dog in the backyard through the winter, and pine shavings have helped a lot with the mud/ice cycle we get in Michigan. 

An added bonus to the dog and I not breaking our necks is our backyard lawn isn't completely wiped out by spring like it would be before I started placing the shavings down. It's worn but not as bad as it would be without them. I can't remember where I read that little tip. I think it was on a forum for German Shepherd owners, but I think it would apply to owners of big, active dogs in general.

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts