Oatmeal Sausage Patties

Hearty, inexpensive oats. Credit: fotoblend/Pixabay

Oatmeal sausage is a thing, a very good thing actually. I combined elements from two recipes I found on YouTube and the sausage patties were delicious. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I like to try different recipes. One recipe is from Chef Ani which includes TVP, aka textured vegetable protein, which is a dehydrated soy product. The other is from Cookin Wiv Roy, which he calls his "Military Recipe Vegan Breakfast Sausage."

Essentially, I used Chef Ani's recipe as a base and used two ingredients from the military one, peanut butter and liquid smoke (I had apple flavor on hand). I didn't have unflavored TVP, so I used beef-flavored TVP that we bought for the pantry to add to ground beef dishes to stretch our meat budget. Chef Ani's tip for glaze to fry the patties in really brings out the flavor. I'm going to try Cookin Wiv Roy's base recipe next to see how I like them without the TVP since oats are an easy staple to find.

My next experiment with oats will probably be vegan haggis.

© P.J. Deneen  

Cross-posted to Dreamwidth.

Comments

Popular Posts