How to Make Almond Milk

In the series of articles I'm doing on long-term food storage at Squidoo, one of my most popular so far is about powdered milk and milk substitutes. In that article, I placed some info on almond milk. In the spirit of practicing what I preach (and as a lover of almonds), I experimented making my own based on the instructions from the video below.

I tend to use many recipes as guidelines and not hard and fast rules, especially since I'm the only one in the household who would drink the stuff, and this recipe was no exception. I cut the amounts in half and didn't use the salt. I didn't have any dates, so I used agave nectar (about 1-1/2 tablespoons). It was quite easy and delicious, though I think I'll cut back on the agave or use honey next time because it was too sweet for my taste.

You can use this in baking and over your cereal or just drink it. You can also save the pulp and use that in baking by grinding it into a flour for breads or use it as is. I've seen some delicious-looking cookie recipes from raw food enthusiasts online. I've put almond pulp in the freezer for now and will post the results of my experiment with cooking with it in a future post. I love finding multipurpose uses for stuff don't you?

I keep powdered milk in my long-term food storage and use that for drinking, baking and even making yogurt. Almonds don't have as long of a shelf life as powdered milk but they are great to have on hand as a nutritious snack and will keep for about a year or more in the freezer, more so if they're still in the shell (though they're a pain to get the shell off of). Consider this one a cross between a prepper and frugal tip as it's really quite cheap compared to regular milk and can be made up in case of not being able to get to the store.

Update: I changed out the video as the owner for the previous one removed it from YouTube.



© P.J. Deneen

Comments

Popular Posts