Bottles for Herbal Preparations

I recently finished making Valerian root tincture made from dried herbs similar to the process for elderberry tincture that Herbalpagan makes and which I spoke of in a recent post.  I've made it before but it's been a while.  I use it to help me sleep and for muscle aches.  I was looking for dropper bottles to put the finished tincture in and realized that's a good post subject.  You don't absolutely have to have glass dropper bottles for your tinctures and oils.  I make them in Mason jars and then transfer them to amber-colored or cobalt blue glass for storage.

Amber dropper bottle.
Photo by paks, sxc.hu.
The colored glass is supposed to help them keep better as long as they're kept in a cool, darkish place as well. I used to make up my own aromatherapy massage oils when I was a massage therapist and store them in 4-ounce cobalt blue bottles with a regular top (not dropper).

My favorite company at the time to order base oils and bottles was Lavender Lane.  They also carry supplies for homemade skin care, soaps and more including different sizes of glass bottles with droppers.  There are other places to get them though.  Amazon carries them as well as SKS Bottle & Packaging and Specialty Bottle.  The last two you can buy in large quantities.

I like to have the 1 and 2-ounce bottles on hand for tinctures for myself and to give away.  As I said, these aren't imperative to have so that you can consume your homemade herbal preparations, but it's convenient to be able to measure some things out in drops or by the dropper full.  If you're already taking herbal tinctures, then you can at least save cash by making some of your own.  And if you're seriously considering growing your own medicinal herbal garden, then these reusable bottles are what I consider a good investment for the future.

© P.J. Deneen

Comments

  1. The process is so simple that people should really give it a try! I have used Lavender Lane before but it was years ago! I get my glass droppers from Atlantic Spice, but I have been thinking of using Specialty Bottle. Decisions, decisions! I guess I'll go with price this time, I need to get some bottles for putting the elderberry in as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts