Elderberry Tincture and Syrup

Since my husband brought home a cold that I caught, we've both been considering what remedies we need to restock the medicine cabinet with to last through the winter.  While I like herbal remedies, I'm not averse to taking OTC meds when needed, especially if they help me get through the work day.

But I recalled a post over at Herbalpagan's Green Surviving blog about elderberry syrup.  Elderberries are known as a folk remedy for colds and the flu.  Tinctures and syrups made from them are sold from natural health companies.  But you can very easily make your own.  I don't grow my own elderberry bushes yet, so I have to purchase the dried berries.  I've seen them online at Amazon and some herbal companies like Mountain Rose Herbs.  Other than that, you just need vodka and sugar.  Herbalpagan's post spells the steps out for you (update:  it looks like her post is blocked for now, so see video below). The syrup can also be used to make a tea.  While I missed it with this cold, I plan on being prepared for the next one.


© P.J. Deneen

Comments

  1. Thank you for the "shout out"! I firmly believe in the power of herbs, but like you, I'm not adverse to using whatever to get through a nasty cold! I have COPD and colds are a slightly bigger issue for me. I have a daughter who works in retail and a husband who travels a lot, so just staying away from the germs doesn't always work. Last year I made the elderberry syrup forthe first time and for the first time, we didn't once succumb to a cold or flu! The trick with the syrup is to "know your body" and take it the very instant you start feeling like something is creeping up on you. Many folks take a "maintanence dose" daily.
    Warning: it takes like crap! But it works like a charm. I urge everyone to read up on this wonderful fruit. If you don't have the time to make it, you can buy Sambucol over the counter or on line. I think it's outrageously expensive, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there Trish! I put "Pagan Preppers" in good old Google, and there you were! Looking forward to reading your posts. Yes--indeed--home made tinctures and syrups are great and can save tons of cash over getting stuff at the health food store. Here in about a month, it will be time to gather some echinecea roots for tinctures and teas. I'm getting ready to make a hawthorne berry tincture later on tonight. I know that the higher proof alcohol works best, but I love (yum!) tincturing in apricot brandy. I have to be frugal this time, though, and use the 100 proof vodka as I am making such a large quantity of it. Well--Blessed Be to you and don't forget to blow a kiss to Lady Moon tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts